Sunday, September 13, 2009

Síne, without trying, convinced me to update this again.

So I will just start writing. I must start by apologizing to people who had been reading this when I stopped updating. Sorry. I did some really neat stuff that I didn't have the chance to write about right after it happened. It would have made for some good stories. I wrote about most of the cool things very briefly, but I wish I could have done more.

That being said, I've been home for about two months now. It's not the same. I have wanted to write a big long passage reflecting on my time in Italy for a while now and I haven't been able to have the motivation to do so. This update will most likely not be that long, drawn out summary of my emotions and sentiments about being home either. More likely, it will be just an update. What's been going on back home. What's good. What tha dillio. Yaw'mean?

I've moved into a great, big apartment with my friend Colin. It's in an interesting area in the city that I really like. I've started up school again, much to my chagrin. I'm taking one challenging class and a three other incredibly easy ones. I've been working at Tom French: Flowers as the Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday delivery boy. It's a great job that pays pretty well and doesn't require much effort. When I got back, I was holding off on actively looking for a job because I wanted to "get settled", I told myself. I feel kind of guilty for the ease of my job hunt. It went a little something like this.

Me: "ZZzzZZzzzzZZZ"
-phone rings. It's a text from Chris
Chris: "Hey. The flower shop next door is hiring a delivery driver. You should come by if you're interested."
Me: "I am interested.""
Chris: "Well you should come by today. I think the job is from 11-3. He will be around until 5"
Me: "Ok"
-after a shower
Me: "Hi. I'm Chris's brother. He said something about you looking for a..."
Tom: "Oh hey! So you'll start Monday."

I just had a feeling if I didn't actively look, something would fall in my lap. I wish it hadn't woken me up though. Geez...

The issue that I've had to confront however is that I am not over Italy. Still. I feel like a fool. It doesn't make sense. It's over. I can still reflect on the experiences, but I need to move on and start living now in the country of my real life. I just can't do that with my whole heart anymore though. I can't get used to being on time and being stressed about being on time and I can't make myself think about setting anything up for the future like a career or...well just a career. Italy brought me no where closer to having any sliver of an inkling of what I want to do with my life. I want to be perpetually content again. That's what I want to do with my life.

I have lost much of the interest I had in politics as well. I have a lot of trouble stomaching all of dry theoretical jargon and I've decided that I can't make value judgments for other people so being a politician is seeming less and less like a good idea for me.

I don't know. Enough of that though. This is getting to be a downer. I've been making some good food lately. That's always nice. Alex and I constructed a much needed counter for my kitchen in my apartment and since then, I've been cooking pretty often. I've made some amazing meatballs and sauce which I used to make a baked rigatoni, see facebook. I've made some cool stuff with sausages Chris makes at the shop. I like cooking. And food. See prior posts for more mentioning of my love of food.

I'm taking a course in sculpture this semester to fulfill my art credit. It's a great class and I enjoy the opportunity to do something creative in both a mental and physical way. It's also contributed to my dislike of my current major. I need to do something creative. It can also be frustrating I've found. Again, I'm stuck with this stupid curse of being able to think of great vivid ideas but not being able to execute them. Like my idea for the sad clown in the style of Rembrandt. I know something exists like what I'm thinking but it's not quite right. It's so clear in my head. Stupid art. I just really want to be creative nowadays. It almost killed me to read my first book for my senior seminar class. It was about 250 pages of the driest reading known to man. I now have about 400 pages left in my next book. Due Tuesday with a 3 page paper. Oopla!

Allora. I think that wraps up my thoughts for this evening/morning. Work in the AM so I must be off. But yeah, Síne, this was a good idea. We should do this again. The Royal "We".

Until...later?
-David

No comments:

Post a Comment